Article by FLTA for Safety Month 2019
A safe site should be clean and tidy!
There are three main components of a safe site:
A site can be designed to minimise risk. This is easiest to achieve with the design of a new building or complex.
However, reviewing the risks and re-designing where possible can improve even an old site.
Some of the main points to consider are:
- Pedestrian segregation, with a complete ban on nonessential personnel in areas where fork lift trucks operate. Provide clear, well-signed crossing points if needed.
- Provide one-way routes where possible. Movement aisles should be sufficiently wide and free of obstacles.
- Consider speed limits and provide signs. Provide other signs as needed and consider the use of wall or rackmounted mirrors to enhance visibility.
- Minimise the need for reversing.
- Minimise the use of ramps and other gradients.
- Provide high levels of lighting, and good ventilation if diesel or gas trucks are in use.
- Pay particular attention to interfaces such as lorry docking areas.
- Provide space for the parking and maintenance of fork lift trucks and for the charging of battery-operated equipment.
Maintenance affects safety and is everyone’s responsibility. Debris should be removed and spillages cleared up as they occur – not left for cleaners.
- Keep the whole area clear of rubbish and any operating debris such as packing material and broken pallets.
- Keep surfaces clean, free of oil, grease and other substances, and in good
- condition. Repair cracks and potholes as they occur.
- Maintain lights, signs, barriers and other safety features.
Demand a safe attitude to safety across the site.
Never just assume that safe practices will be followed – and don’t get complacent.
Schedule routine checks.
- Enforce speed limits and routes.
- Provide site familiarisation training for new employees and agency operators.
- Discuss site safety issues as part of regular Health and Safety meetings.
- Involve everyone in site safety.
Subscribe to our latest newsletter
Subscribe now to receive the latest offers, stock updates, exclusive product releases, and company news directly to your inbox.